Are you about to go through a Business Restructure or Talent Re-Deployment Process?
Sometimes in crisis situations, workforce triage is what is required, which in medical terms means:
While we may not be able to save everyone involved, in some cases business re-structure is the only option left after all other options have been carefully weighed up and evaluated. HR’s job is to ensure that triage actions will stabilise the situation now and secure success for all in the future.
1. Plan the process carefully and identify all the stakeholders that need to be involved.
2. Identify who will be project lead with the authority to manage the restructuring process.
3. Consult properly with those employees in the internal talent pool, explain to them the options i.e. ‘voluntary redundancy’ or ‘internal application’ for the job roles that are on offer in the new structure.
4. Develop a genuine fair and transparent consultation process: Be open to amending proposals based on that consultation with employees.
5. Bring in an outside consulting firm, this will reduce mistakes and bring objectivity into the process.
6. Conduct an objective skills assessment: The purpose of the skills assessment is to determine which out of the pool of employees remaining are the best match to the skills required in the ‘future roles’ in the organisation. Click here for access to the PDF on ‘How to Conduct a Skills Audit.”
7. Use a matrix of objective, measurable criteria to select people, that way you are compliant with GDPR.
8. Use ‘an evidence base’ i.e objective data as part of the process, otherwise, you may be exposed to legal challenge if decisions (particularly redundancies) are seen to be made solely on ‘subjective opinion’.
9. If employees are having to apply for their own jobs, combine hard data with an interview, while data is important, ultimately the final decisions should be made by people.
10. Career coaching and compassionate support: Offer career coaching and support to those who are planning to take up voluntary redundancy or as a result of the process have to involuntarily exit the organisation and transition to a new role or new career.
As always here at Human-ByDesign, we hope you enjoyed this article, and we hope you found the tips helpful. Do you have any thoughts? We would love to hear them.
You can reach us by Clicking here.